In 200 – 250 words, provide a comprehensive answer using your readings, knowledge and experience for this discussion. Describe the barriers to effective patient-provider communications. What factors in the current state of health care in the United States may be contributing to ineffective communication and why? In your opinion, which barriers or factors have the greatest impact on communication and why? Support your assertions with scholarly sources.
Complete the Personal Inventory for Non-Therapeutic Interviewing Skills in your course textbook on pg.61, Exhibit 3-4. Begin your discussion by analyzing your use of non-therapeutic interviewing skills and identify one or more areas that you will work on to improve your skills. Additionally, view the Establishing a Therapeutic Relationship video. Add to your discussion response by addressing the following questions:
- click here for more information on this paper
- What therapeutic and non-therapeutic interviewing techniques did the interviewer display?
- What, if anything, would you recommend that the interviewer do differently to be more effective?
Support your assertions with scholarly sources.
Van Servellen, Gwen (2009). Communication skills for the health care professional: Concepts, practice, and evidence (2nd ed). Sudbury, Massachusetts: Jones and Bartlett.
- Read from your text, Communication Skills for the Health Care Professional: Concepts, Practice, and Evidence [2nd ed]:
- Chapter 1: Health Communications and Quality Care
- Chapter 2: Principles of Human Communication
- Chapter 3: The Nature of Therapeutic Communications
- Jelphs, Kim. (2006). Communication: Soft skill, hard impact. Clinician in Management, 1, 33-37. Retrieved from the EBSCOhost database.
- This article explores communication by discussing the importance of self-awareness, communication style, the use of technology and assumptions made by individuals and their potential relationship on effective service delivery.
- Pfrimmer, D.(2009). Teamwork and Communication. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 40(7), 294-295. Retrieved from the EBSCOhost database.
- This article discusses the impact of communication on quality patient care and patient safety.